Rulings on Etikaf in the light of the Qur'an and authentic hadiths - Islamic Knowledge

Rulings on Etikaf in the light of the Qur'an and authentic hadiths


Rulings on Etikaf in the light of the Qur'an and authentic hadiths
Rulings on Etikaf in the light of the Qur'an and authentic hadiths

Rulings on Etikaf in the light of the Qur'an and authentic hadiths

Rulings on Etikaf in the light of the Qur'an and Sunnah. This is an important question regarding Ramadan. Just as prayer, fasting, Hajj, Tahajjud, Umrah are all acts of worship, so is I'tikaaf an act of worship.

What is Etikaf?

 The literal meaning of I'tikaaf is to stay. (Al-Qaamoos Al-Wahid) And the literal meaning of Etikaf is to stay in the mosque with the intention that one should be completely free to worship Allah. I'tikaaf is a great act of worship. It is an excellent means of nearness to Allah. But at the same time I'tikaaf is a supererogatory act of worship. But it is not a good thing to avoid it completely.

Importance of I'tikaaf:

 If the importance of I'tikaaf is to be highlighted, it is enough that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) has observed I'tikaaf all his life and he never gave up i'tikaaf. But I would like to quote Imam Ata ibn Rabah (may Allah have mercy on him) regarding its importance. He says that the one who observes I'tikaaf is like a man who goes and sits at the door of a chief and says to him: Until you meet my need, I will not leave your door. In the same way, the one who observes I'tikaaf sits in the house of Allah and insists on Allah that unless you forgive me, I will not leave your home.

When is Etikaf performed?

I'tikaaf can be done in other months besides Ramadan. But it is better to do I'tikaaf in Ramadan. And in the last ten days of Ramadan, I'tikaaf is the best and most preferred. Hazrat Ayesha says: Ų£َŁ†َّ Ų§Ł„Ł†َّŲØِŁŠَّ ŲµَŁ„َّŁ‰ Ų§Ł„Ł„Ł‡ُ Ų¹َŁ„َŁŠْŁ‡ِ ŁˆَŲ³َŁ„َّŁ…َ، ŁƒَŲ§Ł†َ ŁŠَŲ¹ْŲŖَŁƒِŁُ Ų§Ł„Ų¹َŲ“ْŲ±َ Ų§Ł„Ų£َŁˆَŲ§Ų®ِŲ±َ Ł…ِŁ†ْ Ų±َŁ…َŲ¶َŲ§Ł†َ Ų­َŲŖَّŁ‰ ŲŖَŁˆَŁَّŲ§Ł‡ُ Ų§Ł„Ł„َّŁ‡ The Prophet (PBUH) used to observe I'tikaaf in the last ten days of Ramadaan until his death. (Saheeh al-Bukhari, Hadith No. 2026). The purpose of I'tikaaf in the last decade is to achieve Laylat al-Qadr.

Can I'tikaaf take place at home?


I'tikaaf can be done only in mosques and the mosque is also the one in which Friday prayers are offered because if there are no Friday prayers in this mosque then either Jumu'ah will be missed or it will be necessary to leave the mosque which is contrary to I'tikaaf. Allaah says: ŁˆَŁ„Ų§ ŲŖُŲØَŲ§Ų“ِŲ±ُŁˆŁ‡ُŁ†َّ ŁˆَŲ£َŁ†ْŲŖُŁ…ْ Ų¹َŲ§ŁƒِŁُŁˆŁ†َ ŁِŁŠ Ų§Ł„ْŁ…َŲ³َŲ§Ų¬ِŲÆِ۔ When you observeEtikafin the mosque, do not have intercourse with your wives at all. (Surat al-Baqarah: 187) Because of intimate intercourse with a woman in the state of Etikaf is unanimously unlawful, the imposition of Etikaf with the mosque implies that i'tikaaf can take place only in mosques and not at home.

 Is fasting a condition for one who is observing Etikaf?

The scholars differ on this issue, but in my opinion, the correct view is that if I'tikaaf is in Ramadan, then it is necessary for the one who is in retreat to fast, but if it is not in I'tikaaf, then fasting is not a condition, because of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also observed I'tikaaf in the month of Shawwaal, but it does not prove that he fasted in that I'tikaaf.
 Similarly, Hazrat Umar (RA) said to him: ŁƒُŁ†ْŲŖُ Ł†َŲ°َŲ±ْŲŖُ ŁِŁŠ Ų§Ł„Ų¬َŲ§Ł‡ِŁ„ِŁŠَّŲ©ِ Ų£َŁ†ْ Ų£َŲ¹ْŲŖَŁƒِŁَ Ł„َŁŠْŁ„َŲ©ً ŁِŁŠ Ų§Ł„Ł…َŲ³ْŲ¬ِŲÆِ Ų§Ł„Ų­َŲ±َŲ§Ł…ِ، Ł‚َŲ§Ł„َ: «ŁَŲ£َŁˆْŁِ ŲØِŁ†َŲ°ْŲ±ِŁƒَ» I had made a vow in Ignorance that I would observe I'tikaaf in the Masjid al-Haram one night, so the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told them to fulfill their vow. (Saheeh al-Bukhari, Hadith No. 2032) If fasting was a condition for i'tikaaf, then the Etikaf at night would not be valid.

What is the minimum duration of Etikaf?

The truth is that the minimum duration of I'tikaaf is one day and one night.

When to enter the place of I'tikaf?

When a person intends to observe Etikaf, he should come to the mosque before sunset and enter his tent after the morning prayers the next day. Hazrat Ayesha (RA) narrates ŁƒَŲ§Ł†َ Ų§Ł„Ł†َّŲØِŁŠُّ ŲµَŁ„َّŁ‰ Ų§Ł„Ł„Ł‡ُ Ų¹َŁ„َŁŠْŁ‡ِ ŁˆَŲ³َŁ„َّŁ…َ، ŁŠَŲ¹ْŲŖَŁƒِŁُ ŁِŁŠ Ų§Ł„Ų¹َŲ“ْŲ±ِ Ų§Ł„Ų£َŁˆَŲ§Ų®ِŲ±ِ Ł…ِŁ†ْ Ų±َŁ…َŲ¶َŲ§Ł†َ، ŁَŁƒُŁ†ْŲŖُ Ų£َŲ¶ْŲ±ِŲØُ Ł„َŁ‡ُ Ų®ِŲØَŲ§Ų”ً ŁَŁŠُŲµَŁ„ِّŁŠ Ų§Ł„ŲµُّŲØْŲ­َ Ų«ُŁ…َّ ŁŠَŲÆْŲ®ُŁ„ُŁ‡ُ The Prophet (PBUH) used to observe I'tikaaf during the last ten days of Ramadaan. (Saheeh al-Bukhari, Hadith No. 2026).

Benefits of Etikaf:

  1.  The one who observes I'tikaaf has the opportunity to talk to Allah completely in private.
  2. Etikaf removes the love of the world from the heart of man.
  3.  Etikaf creates the desire to give up many valuable things for the sake of Allah.
  4.  The devotee has a golden opportunity to offer congregational prayers all day long.
  5.  The one who observes I'tikaaf enjoys Eid more than other people. Because he meets his wife and children after a while, which doubles his joy of Eid.
  6. He who fulfills the requirements of I'tikaaf receives the mercy of Allah.God's mercy is very important for man.

What are the permissible things for a person who is observing Etikaf?

  1.  If there is no provision for ablution in the mosque, then the person performing I'tikaaf can go out of the mosque for ablution.
  2.  A person who is in retreat can perform ablutions in the mosque.
  3.  He can pitch a tent for himself at the place of his I'tikaf in the mosque so that he can get the right the opportunity of secrecy and solitude from Allah.
  4.  His wife can come to him and meet him. (but he will talk to his wife very little so that the purpose of Etikaf does not end.)

What makes Etikaf invalid?

  1.  If a man has intercourse with his wife, then the i'tikaaf of such a person will be void.
  2.  If the Etikaf leaves the mosque without any serious need, his Etikaf will also be void.
Summary: Etikaf is an important act of worship. This can happen on any day of the year. Apart from Ramadan, fasting is not a condition for i'tikaaf. Having intercourse with one's wife and leaving the mosque unnecessarily invalidates Etikaf.
These are some of the basic injunctions regarding I'tikaaf that we find in the Qur'an and authentic hadiths. We humbly ask Allah to grant us the benefit of it۔And we ask God to help us to do good deeds. Ameen!





No comments:

Post a Comment